I have been away from the blog for a few days now and with good reason.
Last Thursday for instance, I made a mixed vegetable dosa. It was tasty, it was healthy but it had no recipe. I mean, it had a recipe that I made up but it also had measurements that I did not keep a track of. That meant I could not blog about it. Which was perfectly ok with me, I mean, I had to get ready in my sexiest outfit for Simon Baker and ‘The Mentalist’. Simon Baker is HOT. Period. OK! Maybe I watched the show in my jammies, but still! It is the thought that counts.
As for the Friday that followed the Simon Baker Thursday, we had friends over for evening tea. So I made idli and chutney as dinner for us and bhajjias and pineapple sheera for us and our guests to serve with the tea. Not a very elaborate menu, but it worked, Friday being a working day and all.
I can recap what happened on Saturday with three words “Foodies gone wild”. Candis and Leana visited me and Dee joined us and the four of us along with my better half and Dee’s significant other had a BLAST!! Food, fun, drinks, dancing, gossiping! Sigh!! Does it get better than that!? It was a most relaxing weekend, almost like a quick getaway.
And what is a foodie get together without plenty of food? There was a variety of food. Dee brought along with her some bacon appetizers and brownies. OMG!! SO SO good! You should head on over to her blog and check out the recipes.
I made some sweet and spicy chicken, mattar paneer and rice for dinner and served that with roti.
For appetizers, I made pineapple lamb sliders with peach-mango slaw.
I did not take pictures along the way. I was too busy having fun chatting with my friends to take step-by-step pictures. Oh well!! I know y’all can make this dish with or without any pictures. It is easy to make and delicious.
Lamb sliders with Peach-mango slaw
*Makes 6-8 sliders depending on the size.
**For the slaw:
1 cup cabbage julienne
1 cup onion julienne
3 tbsp of E. D. Smith peach-mango-orange preserve (see picture below)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 – 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
**For the sliders
1 lb ground organic lamb meat
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/4 cup finely diced celery
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 finely diced pineapple (squeeze the juice out of the pineapple)
1. Mix the ingredients under the “For the sliders” section. Set aside. Refrigerate, if not planning to use right away.
2. For the slaw, in a large saute pan add the oil. Once the oil is hot (has to be hot), Add the onion and cabbage. Add the turmeric, chili powder, cumin seeds and the mango-peach mix. Cook for 3-4 minutes. The cabbage should still retain its crunch.
3. Divide the meat into equal parts and make patties. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
3. Heat a skillet to high. Cook the patties on both sides till the meat is fully cooked. Set aside.
4. On the same skillet cook both halves of the slider bun face down in the grease of the lamb. Flip one half of each of the buns, and add some shredded provolone cheese. Top the cheese with a lamb patty and then top the patty with the slaw and finish off the slider by topping it off with the other half of the bun.
5. The sliders are now ready to be served.
Please let me know what you think of the recipe if you do try it.
Till next time,