My colleague and friend Vim aka Vimala IMed me yesterday and said, “hey Rad! U got any fried rice recipes for me? I am tired of the same old recipes!”. I told Vim, “yeah sure! I’ll have something for you.” And having told her that, I couldn’t stop thinking of what to make. She and I are both South Indians and so we kinda use the same spices. Different…what to make!? And Vim is a 100% vegetarian, so that takes out chicken, fish, egg etc. And Vim is also a healthy eater. Yikes!! What had I done!? Different fried rice??
I came home and decided tonight’s the night!! I opened the refrigerator and found asparagus, cabbage, carrots and Cortland apples. Fried rice…here I come!?! Maybe???
I decided to make fried rice with the apple in it. I had read a couple posts ages ago of daal with apple. Why not rice with apple? And I wanted something to compliment the sweetness of the apple and Sriracha sauce answered the call.
This one’s for you Vim! Hope you like it.
Thai style Apple Fried rice:
*Serves 6 hungry people
*Spice level is medium hot
2.5 cups basmati rice (I use Zafrani basmati rice from Costco)
5 cups boiling hot water (the rice I use needs 1:2 of rice:water)
5 tsp of salt
2 cup thinly sliced onion
1 tsp chopped garlic
1/8 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/8 cup sriracha sauce
1/4 cup oil (I use olive oil)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped asparagus
1 cup chopped cabbage
1 cup chopped apples
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Cook the rice with water and 1 tsp of salt per cup of rice. Mix well.
2. While the rice is cooking, in a large saute pan add the oil. Once the oil hot, add the onions and garlic.
2. Once the onion is transparent, add the vegetables. Cook till the vegetables are cooked but not overcooked. The vegetables should still retain their color and have a crispiness about them.
3. Add the peanut butter and sriracha sauce to the vegetable mixture. Mix well. Add 1.5 tsp of salt. Mix well. Make sure the sauce mixture doesn’t burn. Hence the advice to keep stirring and mixing.
4. Add the cooked rice and mix well.
5. Finally add the lemon juice and mix well. Set aside for 20-30 minutes before serving.
To add some protein to this meal, I served it with boiled eggs. I garnished the rice with grated apple. Who needs grated cheese when you can grate apples instead?
Please let me know what you thought of the recipe if you do try it.
Till next time,