Football (flag football) has started again. Ah! I am one happy mama. I love seeing the boys play football. Football teaches the boys so much more than just the game. Teamwork, perseverance, discipline, ethics…I could go on and on. I hope that my boys play it for a long time to come.
But football also makes me on busy mama. Or should I say busier mama!?!
So my dinners have to be quick, easy and creative. No fuss, no mess dinners are my new mantra.
I just thought of another reason I love football so much. I am much more organized and faster while cooking during football season as I have to rush out to practice while making sure the boys finish up their homework as I cook.
Jessica‘s post on pasta carbonara inspired me to make this dinner. As I have said before, no one in my family works out like Jessica and so it is only fair we do not eat rich food like Jessica. Hence my version is a lighter, greener version of Jessica’s recipe.
*Cook time: 20-25 minutes
*Difficulty level: Easy Peasy
Pasta – I used a 1 lb box of Campanelle pasta
Vegetables – chopped – any way you like, as much as you like (I used zucchini, spinach, broccoli, mushrooms)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp crushed garlic
1.5 cups chopped onions
1.5 cups milk
1/2 cup shredded cheese
salt – 2.5 tbsp + 2 tsp
3 tbsp olive oil
1. Cook the pasta as per the directions on the box. I always add 2.5 tbsp to the water that I cook the pasta in.
2. While the pasta is cooking, in a large pan add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot add the onions. Cook till transparent.
3. Add the chili powder, turmeric and cumin seeds. Cook for 45 seconds.
4. Add the crushed garlic. Cook for 45 seconds.
5. Add the vegetables. Cook till vegetables are done but not over done. If adding a vegetable like broccoli, add it last after the other vegetables have cooked for a little bit. Broccoli should never be over cooked.
6. Add the 2 tsp of salt. Mix well. Turn the flame to low.
8. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs well. Add the milk and cheese. Mix well.
7. Drain the pasta. Do not let the pasta cool down. Add the pasta to the vegetable mixture. Mix well.
8. Add the egg-milk-cheese mixture to the pasta and mix to coat well. Turn of the flame. Let the eggs cook in the warmth of the pasta. Set aside for a few minutes before serving.
Please let me know what you thought of the recipe if you do try it.
Till next time,