I wanted to, I needed to and I had to get dinner made quickly and easily. Cause I wanted to, I needed to and I had to go shopping!
Yes. Yes. I acknowledge that “I am Radhika. I am a shopaholic”. Shopping is a necessity, an addiction I have no desire to break anytime soon. Sorry dear husband. You are just going to have to work harder to support my habit.
So let’s just get on with dinner already shall we!?
Thai Fried rice
Serves 4-6 hungry people
2.5 cups rice. (I use Zafrani Basmati from Costco)
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (I used 2 cups of a stir fry vegetable mix that I had in the freezer. You can use fresh vegetables as well)
1 8oz can of bamboo shoots
Shrimp (I used about 12 frozen shrimp)
2 cups vertically and thinly sliced onion
2 tsp ginger – garlic paste
1/2 tsp fish oil
1/4 cup Sriracha hot chili sauce
1/4 cup peanut butter – I use crunchy.
6-8 tbsps of oil (I use olive oil. This dish does need the oil if it has to be like the rice you get at restaurants. You can reduce the oil if you wish)
1 tbsp sesame oil
salt – 3-4 tbsp
Juice of 1/2 lime
Hot water to cook the rice
1. Cook the rice per direction on the package. Add 1 tsp of salt per cup of rice. The rice I use requires 1:2 cups of rice to water ratio. While the rice is cooking prepare the mix for the rice.
2. In a large saute pan, add the oil (olive oil or whatever you use) and the sesame oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Cook for 5 minutes or until they are transparent.
3. Add the ginger garlic paste cook for a minute
4. Add the frozen vegetables and the rinsed and drained can of bamboo shoots and cook till the vegetables and bamboo are fully cooked. Be sure to stir every so often, to prevent burning of vegetables or onion.
5. While the vegetables are cooking, beat the eggs and set aside. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the eggs and mix. Be sure to mix well and scramble the eggs thoroughly. Continue mixing till the eggs are thoroughly cooked. Add 1.5 tsp to the mix at this point and stir well. Set the flame to low.
6. Now add the peanut butter followed by the Sriracha sauce. Mix to combine. Continue stirring. Yes, this is a great workout for your arm.
7. After about 1-2 minutes, add the shrimp. Cook till shrimp is half way cooked. Mix well.
8. After all the ingredients are combined and cooked, add the rice. And you guessed it, mix well till the rice is coated with the vegetable sauce mixture.
9. Add the lemon juice and 1 tsp salt. Mix really well. Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes on low.
10. Set aside for 10-15 minutes before you serve.
Enjoy~! Please let me know what you think of the recipe if you do try it.
On the shopping front, I bought me some colorful dresses which scream spring, garden, flowers, trip to Hawaii, winning the lottery….ok…I will stop now. Point being, I love the dresses I end up buying.
Until next time,