I had turkey, mushrooms and a 6 pack of naan sitting in the refrigerator that I wanted to use tonight. I just wasn’t sure how to use them. Make the same old same old or try something new? I just wasn’t able to decide.
So, in the meantime I baked a cottage cheese bread hoping that it would inspire me. Still nothing!
Then I opened the freezer to see if there was something that would help me decide. Voila! Just the answer I was looking for. Pizza!
No, there was no pizza in the freezer, but there was a 10 oz box of frozen spinach and looking at it made me realize I could make pizza for dinner using the naan as the crust. I know, I know that is just absurd. But that is how it works with me. What can I say?
I topped the naanizza with turkey, spinach and sauteed onion-mushroom mixture. You can choose to top it with anything you like.
1. 6 Tandoori naan (I bought a 6 pack from Costco)
2. 1 10oz box of frozen spinach
3. 1.5 tbsps minced garlic
4. 1/2 lb ground turkey
5. 1/2 tsp chilli powder
6. 1/4 tsp turmeric
7. 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin
8. 1 egg
9. 1/3 cup bread crumbs
9. 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
10. 2.5 cups thinly and vertically sliced onions
11. 2.5 cups thinly and vertically sliced mushrooms
12. pepper – 1/2 tsp
13. Salt – 2-3 tbsp
10. 5 tbsp olive oil
14. A pizza sauce or tomato based sauce (I used marinara sauce that was in my fridge)
15. cheese – any kind you like
1. Mix the ground turkey meat with chili powder, turmeric, cumin seeds, egg, bread crumbs and 3/4 tsp of salt. Mix well.
2. Make tiny meatballs (1/4 – 1/2 tsp in radius) of the turkey mix.
3. In a saute pan, add 1.5 tbsp of olive oil. When the pan is hot, add the meatballs. Saute them till they are brown and fully cooked. Pour the Worcestershire sauce on the meat balls. Toss the meatballs to coat them in sauce. Set aside.
4. In the same pan, add 2.5 tbsp of oil. Let the oil get hot. add the sliced onions and mushrooms along with the pepper and 3/4 tsp of salt. Cook till onions are caramelized and mushrooms are cooked. make sure to keep mixing as some of the onion may get burnt and stick to the bottom of the pan. Once the mushrooms are cooked, set the onion-mixture side.
6. To the pan now add the remaining oil. Once the oil is hot add the garlic. 30 seconds later, add the spinach and 1/2 tbsp salt. Cook for 5-8 or 8-10 minutes minutes making sure the spinach is cooked. Mix well and ensure that the spinach does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
8. You can now start layering the naaniza. I used a baking sheet lined with foil as my pan to bake the pizzas. Point to note, I cut the meatballs in half and place them cut side down on the pizza. I made two veggie only pizzas. I also forgot to take a picture of the right before the naans entered the oven. bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is fully melted. Enjoy~!
Sprinkle cheese. Image missing
Please do let me know what you think of the recipe if you do try it.