I have been diligently using up what is in my freezer recently. Today I opened the freezer to find….
In the same freezer I found mixed vegetables and some chicken drumsticks. Seeing the three of them together meant only one thing…it was time for pot pies.
And since no dinner I make is complete without my three favorite spices of cumin, turmeric and chili powder, I decided to make Indian style pot pies and I named the dish “masala chicken pot pie”.
Masala Chicken Pot Pies
9 ready to bake puff pastry shells (I had only 6. But the masala was enough for 9)
1.5 cups finely chopped onions
1.5 cups mixed frozen vegetables
2 cups fully cooked and finely shredded chicken (I pressure cooked 6 thawed chicken drumsticks in water and salt and pepper. And then de-skinned them and shredded the meat. You can use any kind of cooked chicken. Be sure to chop or shred finely)
1.5 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 – 1.5 tsp of chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tbsp lime juice
3 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup milk
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbsp butter
1. Bake the puff pastry shells according to directions. While the pastry shells are baking, get the chicken masala ready (Step 3 onwards)
2. Once baked, let them cool for a little and then remove the top and the layers of the pastry and set aside.
3. Add the butter to the milk and microwave for a minute. Add the flour and mix well, till the flour dissolves in the milk. Set aside.
4. Add the olive oil to a pan. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onions.
5. Add the chili powder, turmeric and cumin seeds. Cook till the onion is caramelized. Stir often.
6. Add the ginger-garlic paste. Cook for a minute.
7. Add the ketchup and lime juice. Cook for a minute. Stir often.
8. Add salt. I used 1/2 tbsp of salt and it was sufficient for our liking. Please adjust salt as you see fit. Start with a 1/4 tbsp of salt and work your way up.
9. Add the frozen vegetables and cook till the vegetables are almost cooked. Stir often. It is important to stir often so that the ingredients don’t burn and stick to the bottom of the pan.
10. Add the cooked chicken. Stir.
11. Cook for about 2-3 minutes and then add the butter-milk-flour mixture. Let this cook for 3-4 minutes.
12. Let the mixture cool
13. Stuff the pastry shells with the masala mixture.
*Once the masala mixture is done, you will need to turn the oven back on at 425 degrees for one final baking. My oven was already hot, so no preheating was required.
14. Top with some shredded cheese
15. Gently place the pastry layers and top removed earlier back on the
16. Bake for 5 minutes. Turn off the oven, take the pastry out and let it cool.
17. Dig in! These will be gone before you know it.
As a side note, since I had sweet potatoes and since the oven was on for the puff pastries, I decided to make baked sweet potato fried. I served fries with the pot pie.
As I said before, since I only had 6 pastry shells, I had some left over chicken masala. So I made sandwiches.
Do let me know what you think of the recipe if you try it.
Till next time,